Cockapoo with a black charcoal beard

Foods to avoid feeding your dog


Now furiends, you should all know by now that me likes food, lots of food, any kind of food, all the time; food, food, food. But furiends, mummy has told me I is not allowed to eat some foods. She reckons they is bad for me; might give me an upset tummy (the squits as she calls it), or far, far worse. Me thinks she’s just being mean, especially cos some of it is perfectly safe for her to eat…

So I will list out, in alphabetical order cos me knows me ABC, stuff that you shouldn’t eat, even if you’re absolutely starving like I often is, and what your hoomans should do if you happen to eat it.

Hoomans, these are the foods to avoid feeding your dog…


Now, mummy likes her grape juice. Don’t know why, I has smelt it a few times, and it don’t smell good. And she starts acting a bit weird, her and the lovely Rita start giggling.

Alcohol and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death. Under no circumstances should you be giving your furbabies alcohol.

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - red and white wine
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Red and white wine


Mummy sometimes likes to nibble on dark chocolate before she goes to bed. And at Easter and Christmas there is quite a bit of chocolate around in various forms. Me also gets chocolate, except it’s special chocolate for doggies. Me not allowed mummy’s Easter egg or advent calendar.

Chocolate contains substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao beans, the fruit of the plant used to make chocolate. When ingested by us doggos, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. The darker the chocolate, the higher level of methylxanthines; so dark chocolate is worse for us doggos than white chocolate, but that don’t mean you should start eating white chocolate furiends.

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - chocolates
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Box of chocolates

Cooked Bones

Me sometimes gets raw bones to munch on, one of me faves is the large ostrich bone from JR Pet Products. Keeps me quiet for hours.

However, whilst giving your dog a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, avoid cooked bones at all cost. These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the gut which can be fatal. Sounds painful furiends, you don’t want that…

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - chicken bone
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Chicken bone

Grapes and Raisins

I has had experience with this one furiends. A nice friend of mummy’s gave me some of her homemade apple cake as a treat. It was super yummy. Very shortly afterwards, mummy discovered it had sultanas in. She rushed me off to the mean vet where they stuck a needle in me leg and up came all the nice cake I’d eaten. Had to eat charcoal for 2 days too. Then me had to have another needle in me leg to take some blood to check I has not got kidney damage. Fankfully I is fine.

Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. Some dogs can eat these and be fine, but others can eat just 1 and die. Do not eat these furiends, even if hidden in a yummy cake!

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - red grapes
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Red grapes

Macadamia Nuts

Fankfully mummy isn’t a fan of macadamia nuts so no risk of me getting me paws on these at home.

Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last approximately 24 to 48 hours.

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - macadamia nuts
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Macadamia nuts

Onions, Garlic, Chives

Once when mummy was cooking she dropped some onion on the floor so I immediately ran over to nab it, can’t let food go to waste after all. Oh my word furiends, it was horrible, so I spat it out. Why do hoomans eat onion?

These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage and anemia. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. 

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - onion and garlic
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Onions and garlic

Salt and Salty Snack Foods

Mummy doesn’t eat too many snacks, but occasionally she might have some crisps or popcorn. So I sits in front of her, drooling, and if me has been good, she might gives me a little bit to munch out.

But only a little bit furiends because large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in dogs. Signs that your doggo may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death. So furiends, don’t let your hoomans feed you too many salt-heavy snacks like crisps, pretzels, and salted popcorn, even though they taste super yummy.

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - crisps
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Crisps


Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including chewing gum, sweets, baked goods and toothpaste. It is also often found in that super yummy treat called peanut butter that me absolutely loves (don’t get it very often though). Mummy makes homemade biscuits for her clients’ dogs for when they have a photoshoot wiv her. But she makes she doesn’t buy a variety that has xylitol in….

It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.

Foods to avoid feeding your dog - xylitol
Foods to avoid feeding your dog : Xylitol

Final words from mummy

If your dog has eaten something that you think he or she shouldn’t have done, call your vet as soon as possible to get advice. The sooner the dog is seen after they have consumed something they shouldn’t, especially if it’s poisonous, the better….

Pawfect VIP

Become a Pawfect VIP to receive special offers via email.